The Mission of TeamMate
To positively impact the world by inspiring youth to reach their full potential through mentoring.
The Purpose of TeamMates
Tom and Nancy Osborne founded the TeamMates Mentoring Program in 1991 in an effort to provide support and encouragement to school aged youth. The goal of the program is to see youth graduate from high school and pursue postsecondary education. To reach this goal, youth meet one hour per week with a caring adult who serves as a mentor. Mentors are volunteers from the community who have dedicated themselves to making a difference in the life of a young person. Mentors give youth a sense of hope, purpose and vision.
The TeamMates Mentoring Program currently provides a mentor for over 3,000 youth across Nebraska and Iowa.
- Commitment to youth -- We are committed to serving youth with compassion and respect.
- Safety -- The safety and protection of the mentee and mentor is first priority.
- Integrity and Trust -- We are committed to the integrity and trust in all relationships.
- Inclusion -- We are committed to the inclusion of mentees and mentors from diverse backgrounds.
Investing in the future
"Our young people face different challenges today that affect them personally. If we are going to make a difference, we have to get involved with them as one-to-one mentors. We thank you for your support and we know that one student at a time, we can make a difference, not only in this generation, but for the generations to come."
- Dr. Tom & Nancy Osborne
About TeamMates of Papillion La Vista:
Student TeamMates start at the 7th grade and continue with their mentor until high school graduation. The in-school one-on-one mentoring program allows mentors to meet with their students (mentees) one hour a week during the school day.
Why Become a Mentor?
- Young people need positive, successful adult role models.
- Young people need guidance in setting and achieving goals.
- Mentors gain from the insights of young people.
- Mentors receive satisfaction in helping young people succeed.
Research has shown that students with mentors were:
- 46% less likely to begin using illegal drugs
- 27% less likely to begin using alcohol
- 53% less likely to skip school
- 37% less likely to skip class
- 33% less likely to hit someone
TeamMate Mentor Support
Mentors will be trained prior to matching with youth TeamMates.
Grade level counselors oversee the program within the building and provide day-to-day support.
District Coordinators facilitate and provide on-going support for the program.
TeamMates Scholarship Program
The Papillion La Vista TeamMates chapter provides each mentee that graduates from one our high schools at $500 scholarship to further their education. The scholarship can be used for tuition or books at a post-secondary school of the student’s choice.
- Senior TeamMates Scholarship Information
- KnowHow2Go to College
- Osborne Opportunity Scholarship Application
- Gary Scharf Scholarship Application
- Susan Thompson Buffett ScholarshipApplication
For more information about the Papillion-La Vista TeamMates program contact:
420 S. Washington St.
Papillion, NE 68046