Return to School Plan
Families Have a Choice - Online or In Person Learning
All PLCS Families will be given an option for how they return to school for the 2020-21 school year. All families can choose if they want to attend school in person with a teacher teaching the classroom, or the remote learning program conducted online. Details for both programs can be found below. If you choose to attend the in person program you do not need to do anything. Enrollment for the remote learning program closed on Friday, July 31st.
Protect the Physical & Mental Health of Students and Staff
What is PLCS doing to keep students and staff healthy & safe?
- Requiring masks for all students and staff.
- Implementing social distancing where feasible.
- Implementing personal protective equipment (PPE) like face shields and acrylic barriers.
- Cleaning of desks between student use.
- Cleaning of high touch areas frequently throughout day.
- Extensive cleaning and disinfecting every night.
- All supplies & equipment cleaned between uses - limit sharing of supplies.
- Limiting visitors to schools during school day and use of school facilities by outside groups.
What will families do to keep everyone safe?
- Wear Masks! Masks are required for all staff and students. Built in mask breaks at all levels.
- Complete daily screening at home via the app or link provided.
- Stay home if sick or showing any symptoms - Don’t take a chance!
- Practice good hygiene (hand washing, cough etiquette, etc.) at all times.
- Social distance where feasible.
New guidelines to keep students and staff healthy & safe in school
- Essential visitors to school by appointment only. No outside speakers or volunteers in classrooms.
- Hand sanitizer used before entering and exiting classroom & lunchroom.
- Hand washing times built into the schedule.
- Parents must remain in cars during drop off and pick up or meet child off school property while social distancing.
- No outside food deliveries or any deliveries.
- Virtual school assemblies only.
- Field trips & guest speakers brought to the classroom virtually.
- Transportation vehicles will have increased cleaning between uses. All students and drivers will wear masks.
- All large group parent gatherings such as open house and family nights will be remote.
- Two health offices in all schools, one for sick kids and one for routine business like distribution of medications.
- Drinking fountains will be closed - students encouraged to bring water bottles.
- Currently all middle school and high school athletics and activities are scheduled to proceed
Provide Students With Quality Education Face to Face
First Half-Day of School: August 11th
- NO SCHOOL for 8th grade or 10-12 grade
- K-6 Early Release 11:40 a.m. -12:10 p.m. (staggered)
- 7th grade Early Release 11:00 a.m.
- 9th grade PLSHS Release 12:00 p.m.
- 9th grade PLHS Release 1:00 p.m.
First Full Day of School: August 12th
- K-12th grade
- *Reminder: All middle school and high school students have late start on Wednesdays.
Click below to view plans for each school level:
Masks Required for all students and staff
PLCS is requiring masks for anyone over the age of 2 entering a school or school property. Each school is planning designated mask breaks for students throughout the day. Mask breaks will be built into the day at all levels. Masks will not be required by students when exercising during PE, at recess or during lunch. Accommodations will be made for students with a medical condition that prohibit them from wearing a mask.
Students and staff can wear their own masks or a reusable mask will be provided. Masks must follow the district dress code.
As we focus on keeping students and staff safe and in school as long as possible, masks are a critical factor. In the event that a student at school tests positive for COVID-19, wearing masks is a key factor in determining what other students and staff need to be quarantined or removed from school and activities. Masks will help keep students and staff safe and keep students in school!
Complete Daily Screening
- All staff and families will need to complete a daily screening prior to arriving at school each day.
- It is VERY critical that if showing any symptom - stay home.
- Today, we ask ALL students and staff to stay home if you have even the slightest symptom of COVID-19.
PLCS partners with Children’s Hospital & Medical Center to help families conduct daily screening for COVID-19
- Through a partnership with Children’s Hospital, all PLCS families will have access to a screening app that can be completed daily on your phone or any device.
- The app will be located in the PLCS district app, a link will be on the PLCS website and a QR code will be available.
- This screening tool will walk families through a series of questions and give you action steps that need to be taken based on your answers.
- Daily screening is critical in keeping all students and staff healthy and in school.