• Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 Parent Rights

    You have the right to:

    1. Have your child take part in and receive benefits from public education programs without discrimination because of his or her disability.

    2. Have the school district advise you of your rights under federal law.

    3. Receive notice with respect to identification, evaluation, or placement of your child.

    4. Have your child receive a free appropriate public education. This includes the right to be educated with nondisabled students to the maximum extent appropriate. It also includes the right to have the school district make reasonable accommodations to allow your child an equal opportunity to participate in school and school-related activities.

    5. Have your child educated in facilities and receive services comparable to those provided nondisabled students.

    6. Have your child receive an individualized evaluation and receive specialized education services if he or she is found to be eligible under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.

    7. Have evaluation, educational, and placement decisions made based upon a variety of information sources and by persons who know the student, the evaluation data, and placement options.

    8. Have transportation provided to and from an alternative placement setting determined by the school district at no greater cost to you than would be incurred if the student were placed in a program operated by the district.

    9. Have your child be given an equal opportunity to participate in nonacademic and extracurricular activities offered by the district.

    10. Examine all relevant records relating to decisions regarding your child’s identification, evaluation, educational program, and placement and obtain copies of educational records at a reasonable cost unless the fee would effectively deny you access to the records.

    11. Receive a response from the school district to reasonable requests for explanations and interpretations of your child’s records.

    12. Request amendment of your child’s educational records if there is reasonable cause to believe that they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the privacy or other rights of your child. If the school district refuses this request for amendment, it shall notify you within a reasonable time and advise you of the right to a hearing.

    13. File a grievance or request an impartial due process hearing related to decisions or actions regarding your child’s evaluation, identification, educational program, or placement. You and your child may take part in the hearing and have an attorney represent you. Grievance requests must be made to the building administrator. Hearing requests must be made to: The Director of Special Services, 402 South Washington, Papillion, NE 68046, (402) 537-6200.

    The person in the school district who is responsible for Section 504 Part D compliance is: The Director of Special Services at 402-537-6222.