With the COVID-19 outbreak, please continue to review handwashing skills with your student. Handwashing is one of the best ways to protect yourself and your family from getting sick. Wash your hands often to stay healthy.
Follow these five steps every time you wash your hands. If soap and water are not available, you can use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. You can tell if the sanitizer contains at least 60% alcohol by looking at the product label.
1. Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
Here is a great video from the CDC explaining handwashing as well: https://youtu.be/eZw4Ga3jg3E